Monday 7 June 2010

Favourite Movies by Favourite Directors

I found this great post over on the blog - Life of a Cinephile and Bibliophile here: http://movienut14.blogspot.com/2010/06/favorite-movies-by-favorite-directors.html which asked for other people to join in. (Note: I've changed the spelling of the title because I'm from the UK!)
So here are a few of my choices for the best movies made by my favourite directors:


The Director: Tim Burton
The Movie: Edward Scissorhands
My reasons: It was the first film of his I saw and it really struck me that this guys vision and imagination is amazing. The story is so wonderful, full of funny and sad moments. It also introduced me to Johnny Depp in a brilliant role.
Other films: Beetle Juice, Batman, Batman Returns, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street


The Director: Luc Besson
The Movie: Leon
My reasons: My favourite film ever, so I had to pick it! It has a great story and a cast giving awesome performances. I really like his style of directing.
Other films: The Fifth Element, Joan of Arc, Angel-A


The Director: Bryan Singer
The Movie: The Usual Suspects
My reasons: A brilliant suspense thriller with a great twist at the end. I love the cast and the funny, intelligent script.
Other films: X-Men, X2, Superman Returns, Valkyrie


The Director: Christopher Nolan
The Movie: The Dark Knight
My reasons: A truly epic movie - the high point of the superhero genre, which I don't think will be beaten. Awesome ensemble cast giving their all.
Other films: Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige


The Director: Alfred Hitchcock
The Movie: North by Northwest
My reasons: An exciting thriller with a great cast, story and musical score. Funny and immensely enjoyable, with some of the most beautiful and iconic shots ever seen on screen.
Other films: Blackmail, The 39 Steps, Sabotage, The Lady Vanishes, Rope, Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho


The Director: Ridley Scott
The Movie: Blade Runner
My reasons: A dystopian sci-fi extravaganza, adapted from one of my favourite author's novels - Philip K. Dick's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer are both incredible and the film is beautifully shot.
Other films: Alien, Gladiator, Hannibal, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven


The Director: David Fincher
The Movie: Se7en
My reasons: Really like the premise of this film. Love the dark, rainy setting and the thrilling action and suspense, plus the twist!
Other films: Alien3, Fight Club, Panic Room, Zodiac


Thanks to MovieNut14 for coming up with the idea!
Add your views and comments, including what your choices would be.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard not to put 7even as a favourite David Fincher film. I totally agree that the setting wonderfully adds to the story's tone.

    I was pleased to learn that your favourite Hitchcock is North by Northwest. Me too! I bought the Blu-ray not long ago and it is indeed fantastic. I can watch that movie on loop all day long.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...